Listen to this Thursday’s KTIC Radio Extension Corner
This is Dr. Nathan Mueller, your local agronomist with Nebraska Extension for Dodge and Washington counties. The Nebraska Cover Crop Conference will take place next Tuesday, Feb. 14, at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Agricultural Research and Development Center near Mead in Saunders County. The conference features information for growers that will assist them in understanding the value of cover crops in a corn-soybean rotation.
The conference features innovative speakers who have worked with cover crops extensively. They will share the benefits of using cover crops such as improved soil health and reduced erosion. Topics and presenters include:
- Developing a Herbicide Plan for cover crops in a corn-soybean rotation with Rodrigo Werle, cropping systems specialist with Nebraska Extension
- Management when Planting Green with Dan Gillespie, No-Till specialist with NRCS
- Cover Crop Influence on Corn and Soybean Nutrient Management with Ray Ward, president of Ward Lab, and Paul Jasa, engineer with Nebraska Extension
- How Cover Crops are Managed on Our Farms with a Panel
- Early Maturing Corn and Soybean Hybrids/Varieties with Roger Elmore, cropping systems specialist with Nebraska Extension, and myself
- Cover Crop Custom Seeding Business Opportunity with a Panel
The conference (view conference website) runs from 9 a.m. to 3:15 p.m., with registration starting at 8:30 a.m. Please pre-register by tomorrow, Feb. 10, to ensure resource materials are available and for meal planning purposes. To register, call 402-624-8000 (or email ude.l1498280975nu@ra1498280975bnudc1498280975). The event is sponsored by Nebraska Extension and the Nebraska Soybean Board in partnership with the Lower Platte North Natural Resources District and USDA Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education.
For more information about the upcoming Nebraska Cover Crop Conference on Feb. 14, you can also visit our local website at croptechcafe.org or give me a call at 727-2775. Know your crop, know your tech, know your bottom line. This is Dr. Nathan Mueller, your local agronomist for Nebraska Extension on KTIC radio.