2014 EQIP Storm Damage Cover Crop Initiative
Action Required by: August 15, 2014
Purpose. To announce a targeted initiative to address the loss of residue cover on cropland fields caused by storm damage during the 2014 cropping season
Expiration Date. September 30, 2014
Producers that have experienced crop and residue loss in the 2014 growing season due to weather and storms throughout Nebraska are encouraged to apply for EQIP assistance to establish cover crops on eligible fields. The Storm Damage Cover Crop Initiative is available to producers who suffered vegetative cover losses due to drought, floods, tornado, hail, and high winds. This initiative will assist producers to re-establish residue lost due to extreme weather conditions needed to protect the soil from water and wind erosion. Practice 340, Cover Crop, is the only practice available for this initiative and with the following limitations:
- Practice payment limited to Cover Crop (340) – Single Species scenario.
- Practice payment limited to one year.
- Cover Crop must be terminated and grazing will not be allowed prior to October 15, 2014. If grazed after this date then restrictions will be applied as specified in the grazing management plan to protect and maintain an adequate level of residue.
- Practice application has not been started prior to contract or early start waiver approval.
- Producer must submit documentation of weather event causing the residue loss.
- Practice must meet all NRCS standards and specifications.
Application cutoff date for the Storm Damage Cover Crop Initiative is August 15, 2014. If you have any questions, please contact Rich Torpin, EQIP Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 402-437-4061